June is Youth Month, a time to remind South Africans about the vital role of education in the lives of younger generations. Parents’ involvement, support and encouragement can play an important role in their child’s success.
As a Youth Month initiative, to help learners get ready for exams, Riverside College, based in Burgundy Estate in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town, asked parents of top achievers to provide insight. Parents were asked why they think their child performs well at school, what their role is in this, and to offer advice and tips.
Their responses were collated and distributed to learners and parents at the school. Across the board, the most important factors in success were commitment, good time management, balance between work and play, getting enough sleep, exercise and eating healthily.
Tips for parents included:
1. Be involved with your child’s work, projects and studies. Always show interest and encourage them.
2. Listen to what makes your child stressed.
3. Let them know they can always come to you for help.
4. Keep expectation levels realistic – measure them on their own abilities and not somebody else’s.
5. Allow your child to make mistakes and learn from them, without reacting negatively.
6. Let your child take their own approach to studying – ownership helps them buy into it and stick to it.
7. Encourage them to work hard and not give up, but also remind them to take breaks and enjoy their free time.
8. Encourage your child to ask about concepts they don’t understand. Do research together to ensure they grasp the content.
9. It is very important to maintain routine around school work – this helps kids understand expectations and responsibility.
10. Stay calm – if you are calm, chances are your child will be too.
With the first set of exams underway, and the second half of the year still ahead, there’s plenty of time for parents and learners to take on some of the advice offered above and assist their children to get the most out of their education.
About the school:
Established in 2006, Riverside College’s holistic approach to education, together with their dedicated core of teachers has seen the school not only grow in numbers but in recognition as well. Since their first group of matriculants wrote exams in 2013, Riverside College has celebrated a 100% matric pass rate. The new school premises, set for completion towards the end of 2018, will provide ample ground to cater for all sporting and extra mural activities, aiming to accommodate between 800 to 1 200 learners across pre-primary, primary and high school.
Distributed by Be-cause Integrated Communications
021 447 1082 / 060 6776 235
On behalf of Riverside College
Founder and Director: Elana Edwards